Yamaha Enhances Home Audio Products with New Music Streaming and Voice Control Capabilities
Yamaha is bringing music and entertainment fans closer to their favourite artists by giving them access to even more streaming and voice control capabilities with a series of upcoming firmware and app updates. Beginning this month, 17 current home audio products launched in 2018, including sound bars, wireless speakers and AV receivers, will offer Apple AirPlay 2 support and expanded Spotify Connect capabilities. Additionally, all of Yamaha MusicCast products will gain support for Actions on Google* through an update to the Yamaha MusicCast app.
These new capabilities join a growing family of built-in services – including Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz and TIDAL – as well as an impressive lineup of features such as high-resolution audio support, voice control via an Alexa device, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.
Firmware updates will also add eARC (enhanced audio return channel) functionality to its industry-leading AV receivers.
Our line of home audio products features some of the most robust hardware in the industry. We’ve been meticulously focused on building on that foundation to enhance the value our customers derive from our latest products through a series of free firmware updates. With these firmware updates, we’re giving our customers more choices for how they enjoy their favourite music and audio content. Plus, they now have the option to use their favourite voice assistant, whether it’s Siri, Google or Alexa, to control the experience throughout their homes.
- The latest firmware updates include:
- Support for Apple AirPlay 2, adding the ability to stream Apple Music and many other streaming services from your iPhone, iPad, HomePod, and Mac to multiple Yamaha devices and other AirPlay 2-enabled speakers simultaneously, perfectly in sync, throughout your home. And with Siri on your iPhone or iPad, you can control what’s playing in every part of your home with just your voice.
- Ability to use Spotify Connect with free Spotify accounts (previously only available for paid subscription-based accounts)
- Actions on Google, enabling voice control of compatible Yamaha devices via Google Assistant. Now you can use your Google Home, Android or iOS devices with the Google Assistant app to control your Yamaha home theater with voice commands, link rooms hands-free, adjust volumes and more.
- Addition of eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) feature to 2017 and 2018 AV receivers, supporting uncompressed audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, and object-based surround such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
The firmware updates and MusicCast app update will start in May and continue through summer. Users will be automatically prompted to install the firmware via the MusicCast app. The schedule is as follows:
AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect updates
Beginning in late May and released by model/series: MusicCast 20 and MusicCast 50 wireless speakers, MusicCast BAR 400 sound bar, MusicCast BAR 40 sound bar, RX-Ax80 Series AV receivers, RX-Vx85 Series AV receivers, RX-S602 slimline AV receiver, ATS-4080 sound bar and CX-A5200 AV preamp/processor, XDA-QS5400 MusicCast Multi-Room Streaming Amplifier
Summer: MusicCast VINYL 500 turntable
Actions on Google*
April 16: All MusicCast models introduced since 2015 through an update to the MusicCast app. *only English
Beginning in late Mayl and released by model/series: RX-Ax80 Series AV receivers, RX-Ax70 Series AV receivers, RX-Vx85 Series AV receivers, RX-Vx83 Series AV receivers, RX-S602 Slimline AV receiver and CX-A5200 AV preamp/processor.